The TV commercial for the iPhone only had one word in the ad – “Hello.” It would be the pinnacle of accomplishment that Steve Jobs had worked his whole life towards. He drove this innovation smart and tough. The association with AT&T was bold, but a neccisity to make the iPhone an exclusive toy. The iPhone became so popular and it put Blackberry out of business, changed the way we listen to music and ultimately built the house of Apple – the new Apple campus.
TV commercial for the first iPhone – “Hello”
10 years ago today, the tech, phone, and consumer industry changed forever. The iPhone was shipped and in the hands of the consumer. I had the Palm Treo which seemed so magical, but then the iPhone came out and I felt like I had the oldest tech around. It had a full touch screen! No need for buttons – yikes.
As we near the debut of the new iPhone in September of 2017, the 10 year mark which is today, June 29th, 2017, we are is reminded just how much we love our phones. We have spent billions of dollars and created an empire. Ironically, I have never owned an iPhone, but I love Apple, and I love everything they do for technology and consumerism. I feel compelled to write about the iPhone because it was an invention, not just a phone. I thought I’d let the pictures, videos and charts tell the story.
Steve Jobs made the announcement just 6 months previous to the launch, and the promise of a tech revolution looked real. He stated that…
“Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything … One is very fortunate if you get to work on just one of these in your career. Apple’s been very fortunate. It’s been able to introduce a few of these into the world.”
The evolution of the iPhone (minus the iphone 7)
iPhone 1 – 2007
iPhone 2 – 2008
iPhone 3- 2009
iPhone 4 – 2011
iPhone 5 – 2013
iPhone 6 – 2014
iPhone 7 – 2016
iPhone Fun Facts
Here are some Interesting Facts about this iPhone:
- iPhone started as a Tablet Project, but when the Apple employees came up with an iPad design with a virtual keyboard, Steve Jobs thought that they can apply this technology to a phone and this is how, iPhone came into existence.
- Exclusive rights for selling the first iPhone were Turned Down by Verizon – (LOL)
- Apple, when looking for a carrier partner to sell the first iPhone insisted that the device will only carry the Apple’s Logo and not that of the carrier.
- The App Store by Apple was the first online space that offered downloading an app legally.
- All the iPhones in the iPhone advertisements show the time 9:41. This is the time when Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone in 2007.
- While Samsung and Apple are the biggest rivals, but not everyone knows that Samsung makes the processors for iPhones.
- In 2007, iPhone was awarded as the “Invention of the Year” by Times Magazine.
- In 2012, Apple sold 340,000 iPhones per day. A whopping 125 Million iPhones for the year.
- Apple’s iPhone has higher sales as compared to everything being sold under the label “Microsoft”.
- Apple’s iPhone in Brazil is Twice More Expensive than in the USA.