Update:: New iPhone 8 Gold has arrived. Some early pics.
Today, the highly anticipated announcements from Apple took place at the Steve Jobs theatre, as they do every year. But this year was inherently different because Apple was in the new magnificent location (see drone footage), and the iPhone, really the first smartphone, was introduced 10 years ago. I’m going to give a few facts and specs below, but Ill let the pictures tell the story. Bottom line is that Apple is great, the iPhone is better than last year’s, and technology is held together by companies like Apple. The iPhone X is here and it looks awesome. “All you need is love” was the message that Apple and Tim Cook opened the conference with, and I believe that is what all their employees put into their products.
If you want to watch the full Apple keynote go here.
On a side note, as it relates to love, Apple literally just donated 5 million dollars to the HandinHand2017 Hurricane relief as I was writing this.
So the quick summary from the event is that there were 3 major announcements.
- A New Apple Watch – Series 3 (See more here)
- An updated Apple TV 4K (see more info)
- And of course the new iPhones – 3 models iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X
iPhone 8 and 8 Plus specs:
- Still has a physical Home button
- 4.7-inch display for iPhone 8; 5.5-inch display for iPhone 8 Plus
- Glass surface on front and back
- Wireless charging using Qi standard (can be charged using third party wireless chargers that also use Qi)
- LTE Advance for faster network connections
- Water and dust resistant
- Powered by an A11 Bionic chip, two performance cores
- 12 mega-pixel camera with two new sensors and optical image stabilizers
- “Portrait Lighting” feature uses the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus’ dual cameras to sense depth and rework the lighting while you compose the shot
- Highest quality video ever in a smartphone
- Shoots video in 4K
- New gyroscopes and accelerometers for augmented reality
- Both models available in 64 GB and 256 GB
- iPhone 8 starts at $699, iPhone 8 Plus starts at $799
- Comes in silver, space gray, gold finishes
- Pre-order opens Sept. 15, available Sept. 22
Basically the same as the iPhone 8 with these features.
- Edge-to-edge display
- Glass on front and back (same as iPhone 8)
- Water and dust resistant
- Comes in space gray and silver finishes
- Super retina display (5.8-inch screen, 458 pixels per inch)
- OLED display
No more home button on the “X”
- Raise the phone or tap on any part of the screen to “wake up” the device, swipe up from bottom to go to home screen
- Rather than pressing the home button, the phone unlocks by recognizing your face using the TrueDepth Camera System (infrared camera, floor illuminator, dot projector and front camera).
- It works night and day, and learns your face over time so it cannot be duped by a photo or mask. Every time you glance at iPhone X it detects your face, takes an image, and checks it against a photo you took earlier.
- When you take the initial ID photo, you move your head around so Face ID recognizes you from different angles. All processing is done on iPhone X and not sent to server to protect face data.
- Face ID works with apps that use Touch ID, and can be used to verify payments.
- Dual optical image stabilization
- Larger and faster sensor
- Quad-LED true tone flash
Size and price
- iPhone X available in 64 GB and 256 GB models
- Starts at $999
- Preorders available Oct. 27, ships Nov. 3